slideshow 1

The hotel was built in 1865 by the tanner and economist August Halsinger. On 1 January 1868, the 'Postexpedition I. Klasse' and its superintendent Mr Mölecke moved into the newly built building at Bahnhofstrasse 14 (now 60). The annual rent at that time was 280 Taler per year. On 5 May 1871, the Office was given the new title 'Postverwaltung' (Postal Administration), and on 1 January 1876 it was renamed 'Postamt II. Klasse' (Post Office 2nd Class). On 1 July 1883, the post office was relocated to Bahnhofstrasse 10. The building was utilised as a hotel for the first time in 1898 by Philipp Meyer, who later went to work at the Stadtschänke (now at Hauptstrasse 51) as an innkeeper. The Bahnhofshotel (railway station hotel) was taken over by Heinrich Lege and remained in the possession of the families Elvers, Lege, Brand and Weidemann during the following years.

The owner, Heinrich Weidemann, squandered his estate and the city treasury of Elze became the new owner of the hotel in 1933. On 1 March 1933, the hotel was acquired by the family that still owns it today. The food and coal merchant Willi Konerding from Bilm purchased the building and ran the Bahnhofshotel, together with his wife and his daughters Lisbeth and Gertrud. In 1943, Gertrud Konerding married the administrative clerk Hugo Kleine from Beverungen and took over the hotel after the death of Willi Konerding in 1945.

Their daughter Jutta Kleine married the waiter Hartmut Stichweh from Wallensen in 1968 and ran the hotel with their parents. In 1969, the bowling alley was built. Numerous lively tent festivals were celebrated during this period, as many people can surely remember. The couple had two daughters, Astrid and Nadine. Astrid Stichweh became a hotel specialist and subsequently worked in London and Switzerland, before studying hotel business administration. Her husband, Costia Lange, is a trained chef and confectioner. Together with Jutta and Hartmut Stichweh, they have been running the hotel since 1999, which is now called 'Stichwehs Hotel am Bahnhof'. The hotel rooms have been extensively renovated. Each brightly decorated room features a shower / WC, satellite TV, telephone and wireless Internet. In addition, a bright, light-filled hall for up to 100 guests was built. The cosy restaurant, refurbished club room for up to 40 guests and the small beer garden complete the offering.